Saturday, October 30, 2010

Runaway Brides and So Much More: The Tulsa Run Takes to the Streets

By Emily Stern

As I drove up to Third Street and Boulder to reach the start of the Tulsa Run, I saw Snow White, a few fairies, and a man that looked like a goblin.

It's Halloween, time for the Tulsa Run, a race that is run on Halloween weekend every year.

One of the greatest parts of this race is the fact that so many people dress up in their Halloween costumes. I saw a few “runaway brides” who were wearing veils and running the race swiftly, one of my favorite costumes of the day.

This race consists of a 5k wheelchair race, a 5k race, a 15k wheelchair race, a 15k race, a 15k competitive walkers race, and a 2k fun run. This run has been going on since 1978, and it is the oldest run in Oklahoma.

This year the start time was at 8:30 a.m. for the 5k race, which is what I stood by and watched. The people running the race seemed to be having loads of fun, even though it was a chilly and early Saturday morning.

Although I wanted to run the race, I was told that day of registration isn’t allowed for this race because of how much they do for the runners. At first I was let down, but I as I watched the people run by in their various costumes I just chuckled and realize how much I was enjoying myself even though it was an early Saturday morning.

Next year I'll be sure to register early and I will most likely be dressed up in my Halloween costume.

For more run information, check out www.tulsarun.com

No comments:

Post a Comment